Thursday 21 February 2013

OPI Polka.com Swatch

I was watching Arrow last night while doing some swatching and I was pretty sure I was going to leave on my professional manicure polish until it chipped off but I just couldn't stand it anymore! Ah well. I was going to continue to burn off the backlog but after I swatched OPI Polka.com from the newest Euro Centrale collection, I seriously can't contain myself!... Urge to share... Rising... This is the polish that also broke my No Buy February once I spotted it so let's make it all worth it! Anyway, I am actually sick right now too so sharing this with you will also cheer me up.

OPI Polka.com is a layering glitter polish - a rich mix of cool purple, teal blue and pink hex glitters with smaller cool purple glitters to help support but not overwhelm. I loved this polish since I saw the silly CGI rendering of the bottle in the press release. I was a little worried it would be like OPI The Living Daylights where it sort of falls flat, but I think the smaller glitters in Polka.com offer a little more dynamic. The colours also work together seamlessly.

The formula is not stubborn and the glitter applies evenly, with no issues. Only once coat is needed to get all the swatches below, which I feel is more than enough. On one note, I think the name of this polish is so revolting, haha! The pun is so terrible. Honestly despite the stupid name, at least the polish isn't a bad joke.

Here is one coat of OPI Polka.com over top Cult Nails Time Traveler:

OPI Polka.com Swatch (Over Matte Cult Nails Time Traveler)

And here's the same combination, matte-ified using Gosh 'Matt Effect' Top Coat:

OPI Polka.com Swatch (Over Matte Cult Nails Time Traveler)

OPI Polka.com Swatch (Over Matte Cult Nails Time Traveler)

I had to keep going so here's OPI Polka.com over top of Essence Oh My Glitter!:

OPI Polka.com Swatch (Over Essence Oh My Glitter!)

And again, making everything matte with Gosh 'Matt Effect' Top Coat:

OPI Polka.com Swatch (Over Matte Essence Oh My Glitter!)

OPI Polka.com Swatch (Over Matte Essence Oh My Glitter!)

This polish was also begging for a jelly sandwich. After having problems with Revlon Girly, I've been thinking on and off about how to improve my lacking love for it. A jelly sandwich was one of my ideas and I applied it with OPI Polka.com using OPI Care to Danse? I started with three coats of Care to Danse? for my base, one coat of Polka.com and then another single coat of Care to Danse? to seal in the jelly sandwich. I absolutely love this look and it actually sort of reminds me of Rainbow Honey Sweet Talk!

OPI Polka.com (Jelly Sandwich) Swatch

OPI Polka.com (Jelly Sandwich) Swatch

Making this jelly sandwich makes it entirely super milky! I love both looks, but unless the other two combinations, I think I am still digging the glossy one in this case.

OPI Polka.com (Matte Jelly Sandwich) Swatch

OPI Polka.com (Matte Jelly Sandwich) Swatch

Sorry for the picture spam (but again I'm not sorry, hehe)! I absolutely LOVE this polish and I have no regrets letting this one slip through my No Buy February. I've also been trying to be better on this blog about offering more dynamic combinations and looks for polish. I'm a little over two months into running Claw of Cthulhu and still looking for ways to improve my swatches, photography, and nail care. All in all, I'm having a good time so that's all that matters.

What do you think of OPI Polka.com? Was it worth breaking a No Buy February? What do the kids say about stuff like this? YOLO or something? Ha!... Anyway, off to bed to rest this sick chest of mine... Until next week!

5 comments:

  1. I love the photo overload! This is a really awesome glitter. I can see it looking great over Roadhouse Blues by OPI, too. I actually liked The Living Daylights, mostly because the color combination is unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it'll look great with Roadhouse Blues too! I loved Manicure Addict's swatch of Polka.com over Vant To Bite My Neck? - Ugh these names are ridiculous LOL, but they're so good! I am trying to give The Living Daylights another shot. Do you have any suggestions on what to layer it over? I layered it over Essie Penny Talk and OPI Alpine Snow. Also I found the polish strangely hard to remove - even using the foil method. Wonder how that happened, haha.

      Delete
  2. Ooo I'm liking this glitter mix. It almost looks like Girly, minus the ugly pink jelly base. And no need to apologize for the pictures, they're awesome! :)
    I haven't broken my No Buy February... yet! Only 6 days to go... must... hold... on, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man I think you're the winner of No Buy! Caitlin over at Addicted to Lacquer has slipped a couple of times, LOL. Let's never do this again! Although to be honest, I think this really helped me and my stash is also getting so big that I don't get tempted as much as I used to. Hopefully I'll keep it at a low from now on! I am going to revisit Girly soon! Hopefully I'll like it better, LOL.

      Delete
    2. I was at Shoppers today and noticed that they got some of the new Essence nail art, and their nude glam colours as well. It was so hard not to buy anything, but since they're regular products I know they'll still have some next week. Kind of silly when you think about it though because I will buy them next time I go, lol! But if they had the spring edition polishes those babies would have come home with me today. (tee-hee-hee) :)

      Delete